Monday, June 16, 2008

Keeping it real (Man, I sound like Dr. Phil or something?!)

So, 99% of what I read on other blogs and what I post on my own blog, is nice, happy, funny, family stuff (because seriously, who wants to read about all the other "not so happy" stuff that happens during our day-to-day lives!). I feel SO blessed to live the life that I live and I thank God for the blessings He has given me...too many to count, I know! But to set the record straight....I think sometimes it appears that we have it all together or that life in the Moser house is always just peachy keen.

Like I said, life really is good, but I never want to be perceived as someone who's fake. So, in the spirit of "keeping it real"...I will just say, there have been plenty of times over our almost six years of marriage that we've.....fought (over things BIG and small), gotten on each other's nerves, raised our voices at one another or at Ben (like yelling!), said things we didn't mean, didn't seek God's will for a decision we made, made the other feel like they weren't important, had our priorities out of whack, etc, etc, etc. I think even that list sounds too nice. Without sharing every detail of every sinful thing that we've done, I've just been feeling like the blog world has a tendency to make our lives look "perfect" and well, that's just not the case.

While we are a family that desires to seek God and follow His plan for us, we are still only human and we, by no means, have it all together, all of the time (it's funny that I'm even typing this...because it's so far from reality!). I've just been feeling like I wanted to say that to all of you out there who read this blog and maybe thought otherwise! I know those of you who know me closely know this about us already. I know I have, in the past, gotten caught up in comparing our family to others families and I can start feeling like we don't measure up for this reason or that. I know this is wrong, but I think the blog world makes it easy to do this and think..."well, my kid doesn't do that yet" or "my family has never had that experience, so we must not be doing things right"...etc.

Anyway, without rambling on too much longer, I've been feeling the need to say some of this and hope maybe someone else out there can relate! Sorry for the heavy and probably pretty boring post! I promise to post something happy and fun soon! :)

10 comments:

Katie said...

You crack me up, Dr. Philemina! =o) Thanks for setting the record straight. I totally agree and ditto for my family. (My husband is sitting here and says to tell you he is "perfect" though, which shows you what a sense of humor he has!!!!!!!!) Your posting couldn't have come on a more perfect day. Jay and I argued over stupid chores this morning in front of Holden which made him cry and us feel horrible. Tonight Holden had his fifth poop of the day while we were at the park with Memaw and his tush must have been raw because he did not want to sit in the wagon to go home. Ditto having someone carry him because it hurt. I am surprised DCFS was not called as I carried him home screaming and kicking over my shoulder while Tami (Memaw) pulled an empty wagon! My solution when we got home was to hand him 3 popsicles and let him run around naked....so much for my goal for him not to have cavities! Then Jay came home and lost both softball games and was furious with his team. Soooo....to all the bloggers out there, none of us are perfect. (Except apparently my husband! HA!)

the deKorne family said...

Hopefully you can be perfect like us, soon. I will pray for you. :)

Oh man...what a great post! I love you and your therapy sessions when I'm the one who is not perfect. (or think my husband isn't).

Anonymous said...

Raising children and being married have highs and lows and God's grace sees us through. In spite of mistakes you and I make and regrets you have God forgives, parents forgive and even children forgive. We are, however, blessed beyond belief and sometimes I can't believe, nor do I deserve these tremendous blessings of you and Michael and Benny.

Anonymous said...

Well put, Ali! We all have the thorns with our roses and need to remember that everyone does! Sometimes the roses grow prettier at another house and sometimes my rosebushes are the best! But thank God we have the beautiful roses! It makes the thorns worth it!

Abby said...

I love this post for various reasons, but mainly it just reminds me why I love you. :)

Samantha said...

So true! I definitely don't post on "bad" days, not just because I don't want others to know about it but also because I don't want to record and remember it for all time! But I agree wholeheartedly with what you said and love your honesty. (:

the cunningham family said...

I agree 100% on everything you said. Nobody has a completely perfect life, if they do, I would love to meet them! :) We definitely have our trying times, but everything works out the way it is supposed to. Thanks for setting the record straight (for everyone) and for taking the time and thought for this post. Excellent work! :)

Anonymous said...

Great real post Ali! :)

MP said...

great post and so so true! Maybe I will post on a very bad day and see how many people read my blog then!! :)

Ben and Erin said...

All that you said is so true! In fact, I have a story that was not pleasant about taking pictures last night on the beach that I plan to share when I post the pictures. Your thoughts and honesty on the matter are greatly appreciated and agreed upon by us here. :)