Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blue Tip Parade!

This week is the Blue Tip Festival in our town and tonight a parade kicked off the week's activities. To quote the town website..."The Blue Tip Festival takes its name from the historic strike-anywhere blue tip matches which were once manufactured in Wadsworth, Ohio." A giant blue tip match will be lit downtown and stay lit all week! Ooooohhhhhh....so cool! :) Anyway, back to the parade, it's mostly a parade of firetrucks, ambulances, and big pickup trucks with advertising on the side. I saw maybe two real floats. There were lots of people throwing candy and lots of weirdos dressed up in chicken suits, dog suits or alien costumes. Ben was into it though, so that's all that mattered. I didn't get the greatest pictures, but here are a few.
This picture accentuates his lips...which most people comment look like mine. This was the very first feature people commented on when he was born. He has his mother's lips...kinda funny.
He was mostly excited about seeing all of the firetrucks and ambulances. I love how he was waving his hands to get their attention.
Of course they all blow their horns and sirens throughout the parade and I have never heard anything so loud in my life. He covered his own ears at first, but then was asking me to cover them for him. :)
Here is one of the many chicken costumes we saw. I don't get the appeal or why it would make me want to shop at whatever the place is that they are advertising on the side of the truck. Ben, however, really dug it.
I just thought he looked cute getting all excited showing me something he saw coming (I'm pretty sure it was a person dressed as a dog.)
Ben and Kailin (KK, as he calls her)...too bad he wouldn't look at me.

4 comments:

the deKorne family said...

Ok that blue tip thing made me laugh out loud. Only in Wadsworth!! (although I'm sure small towns all over have smiliar special parades :). Yeah we are watching Sprout Musical Mornings right now to try and promote tv watching. Don't tell April! :)

Katie said...

Hilarious! I love those cheesy kinds of small town things. So much fun for the kids! I also LOVE the first picture of Ben! I noticed the lips before I even read what you had written underneath. He just keeps getting cuter. It was fun to see how excited he was over the parade, chicken suits and all. (Don't you wonder what kind of person voluntarily wears those? Or maybe it's the low man on the totem pole at the job and they don't have a choice?) Glad you had a good Blue Tip day! =o)

Abby said...

No one will ever question whether Ben is your child. That is definitely a Schweiss mouth! I can't wait to see what other lovely characteristics/personality traits/strange tendencies he develops of yours...I'm rooting for a few of my favorites. :)

the cunningham family said...

Ben is definitely a Schweiss! I could pick him out without a problem! The parade sounds like so much fun! Small towns do have fun things. Colin does the same thing with loud noises. He covers them first and then it is me covering them. That also cracks me up with the chicken costumes. Sounds like an interesting parade, but Ben had fun and that is all that counts!