Sunday, May 18, 2008

He did it...13.1 miles!

Mike ran his first ever half-marathon this morning in Cleveland and he was awesome! :)

I was SO disappointed though...I forgot my darn camera. As I'm sure you can tell from this blog, I document everything with pictures and to not have any from this morning is REALLY bugging me.

Anyway, back to Mike....he ran a 7:52 pace the entire race and ended the 13.1 miles at 1:43:31. His goal was to run under 8:00 minute miles and end under 1:45...so he was happy! It was pouring down rain at the beginning of the race, but by the end the sun was out and shining bright. We made different stops along the route to cheer him on. Ben loved watching all of the runners and yelling for Daddy. There were around 3,100 half-marathon runners and 15,000 runners overall (between the 10k and full marathon). He placed 352...I think that is pretty great, especially for his first time doing this. He was very diligent about sticking to his training plan and he accomplished his goal! I am so proud of him. (Oh...and the winner of the marathon finished in 2:33:33....a 5:51 mile pace...for 26.2 miles...INSANE!)

In other news...we spent all day Saturday in Cleveland too (we had to pick up his race packet and bib downtown). We decided to find something fun to do with Ben, so we took him to the Children's Museum. It was not the most amazing museum I've been in, but Ben had fun and that's all that mattered. We went out to eat in "Little Italy" afterwards at a really good Italian restaurant...Mama Santa's (Mike had to carbo load :)). We finished off with some cannolis from Corbo's bakery...yum!

7 comments:

Ben and Erin said...

Great pictures from the children's museum! It looks like Ben had fun. Congrats to Mike too! That is really awesome. I could never do anything like that! :) Also, I will email you Ali.

the deKorne family said...

Love your new collage thing on the right and way to go Mike. We do need to hang out so he can inspire us with his healthy lifestyle. :)

Anonymous said...

Great job, Mike! Your hard work and preparation really paid off--you met your goals! Love the museum pictures--Ben has a good time, no matter where he is!!

Anonymous said...

wow mike, you need to get back into football and be the running back. HA! great job.

Erin and Josh said...

hey! congrats to mike for doing such a great job. actually, my brother-in-law ran the same race in cleveland yesterday and my sisters ran the 10k! maybe they all saw each other. haha. lovin' the blog!

Anonymous said...

Michael you are doing such a great job with the running. I am so proud of you as I always am. You are a special young man and a blessing beyond belief!

Anonymous said...

The picture of Benny in the water is great!!