Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Six years of wedded bliss... :)

As of this past Sunday, Mike and I have been married six years! I can't believe how quickly time goes by! I'm lucky to have him as my husband. We've had our fair share of fights and drama (just like everyone else!), but I can honestly say that I could not picture my life with anyone else. I know he is the person God designed for me and I am so thankful to have met him ten years ago during J-term at good ol' Taylor. I'm glad I came to my senses and finally realized he was more than just my friend (after a little behind the scenes matchmaking by my pal Heidi). He fits right into my family and I love his. He is an awesome Daddy and it has been really fun to figure out the whole parenting thing with him. I am so excited to have another little person to love and raise along side him.

Below are some pictures from our wedding day. It was a little hot and muggy in Missouri in August, but we managed. Of course the day could not be free of drama...the electricity went out part way through our wedding reception and there was no backup generator (it was out for several hours). Luckily there were lots of candles to light the room and people were willing to stay and have fun, despite the fact that the DJ couldn't play any music and it was BURNING up! We danced our first dance to a boom box that Mike's uncle happened to have in his van. Classy...very classy! :) It made for some funny memories though.

The classic wedding pose.
Those of you who went to Taylor may recognize some of the faces below. The TU folks in our wedding were... Abby Breyer (McLaughin), Bri Bowling (Schilling), Heidi DeKorne (Anderson), Josh Gerber, Jeremy Roberts and Kyle Bertrand. Carrie Lambert (Hartzler) read scripture too! :) The others in the picture are my brothers, Mike's brother, and my two cousins, Courtney and Jackie, who are like sisters to me.

Just had to share one other very classy feature of our reception. Mike and his groomsman thought it would be funny to show up to the reception wearing wigs...very ugly wigs. I've always thought Mike was a cute guy...not so much below. I told him he looked like an ugly Fabio with that stupid thing on. I couldn't even show my face when I had to walk in with him. :) Of course the other guys don't look much better (his brother Brad is on the far right and looks like Howard Stern and I thought my brother on the far left looked like Little Orphan Annie....SCARY!). It did give everyone a good laugh though. :)

6 comments:

the deKorne family said...

maybe if you had worn one of those wigs you wouldn't have been so upset about the hair crisis. and i still think the power made it more fun-and an awesome story...despite some major sweat and boning. :) i love you guys! happy anniversary!

Abby said...

Oh, the boning! The memories are flooding back. I wish we had a picture of all of us with our two red circles. :) Your wedding was a ton of fun, despite the lack of power/music/air conditioning.

Happy anniversary to you and Mike. You are the perfect pair! Love you!

Katie said...

I am CRACKING UP at your stories and the wig pics! I love a guy with a sense of humor....in times when the romance isn't always there, it is always great to be able to laugh. =o) You looked absolutely stunning in your wedding photos! It was fun to see these. Happy anniversary!!!

MP said...

congratulations on 6 years of marriage!! I love the wig pictures..too funny.

the cunningham family said...

I love the stories! Your story definitely tops mine - my cake didn't come! I was laughing outloud with the wigs and the no power! At least you were surrounded by friends & family and still made the best of it. I bet everyone has great memories of that night. You look amazing too! Happy Anniversary!

Abby said...

Oh. My.
Congratulations on SIX years! We celebrated our 6th on August 2, but I didn't blog about it because I'm a blogging loser these days!