Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Nothing like a good book...

Ben loves books. He LOVES a good story...scary, funny, weird, or classic. I pulled a stack of books from the bookshelf today and we sat down on the couch to read a "few." I was thinking he would pick three or four from the stack and we'd be done. Well, one hour and forty minutes later we had read every single book in the stack (see below). It doesn't seem like it could take an hour and forty minutes to read these books, but there are a lot of words and details contained on those pages and, of course, I had to stop occasionally to answer questions or listen to funny observations he made. My voice actually started to go hoarse near the end from non-stop reading. It was fun and I got to snuggle with him the whole time...that's the best part for me!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why he is such a smartie with that wild vocabulary of his! Keep reading, Ali! You'll never regret one minute of it!!

Abby said...

I'm so glad you take the time to read to him! That's something he won't forget...and hopefully he'll grow into a reader himself!

the deKorne family said...

Mom of the year. Did you have to take a bathroom break in that hour and 40 minutes??

Ben and Erin said...

What a fun day! Clare loves books and to be read to, too, but I don't think at her age she'd sit still long enough for all those stories. So fun! I love the cuddle time while reading too. :)

Katie said...

When I first looked at the picture (before reading the post) I thought you were advertising for a Book Fair or something! How fun though. I can't wait until Holden is old enough to sit still long enough to enjoy a book. Kids books are still my favorites! Good ol' Curious George. Hey, you should start writing these down for future Book It minutes! (Or whatever you have at his school.)He'd have a whole years' worth before he even started kindergarten! I love the picture of him in the tent, too. =o)

the cunningham family said...

Your life is so similiar to mine. Colin is such a "reader", he loves reading to himself, others, and retelling the stories. We have so many books in our house it isn't funny. I always thought you could never have enough books but I am beginning to wonder. We have all 5of our bookshelves filled with no place else to put them. Ben and Colin need to get together sometime, they are way to alike. You are a wonderful mom - Ben will remember the fun times he had with you, even if it is something as simple as reading books for an hour and a half. :)

Anonymous said...

Keep taking the time to do this for him. These are precious moments for you and he won't forget mommy reading to him.