Monday, February 14, 2011

That's what the promise is for...

Mike and I have been married eight and a half years and I can say with confidence ...marriage is hard, but it's so worth it. Our marriage is far from perfect and there are days when it's more of a challenge to LOVE than others (come on all you married people, don't act like you can't relate!). It's a choice....a promise we made (and make each day) ...to LOVE each other through all of life's ups and downs. It doesn't always come naturally, which is why I am so thankful that God is a God who forgives (when I don't love like I should) and is continually refining us to be more like Him (He is LOVE!). I look at the life we've created together (all by His grace) and I am truly thankful. I look at the faces of my three babies and I can hardly imagine ever choosing not to love their Daddy...even on the bad days. Marriage is hard, but that's what the promise is for (line stolen from an awesome song...see below).

Me and my Valentine...
I'm wearing my pajamas and we both look tired, but that's pretty typical these days...so I'll just go with it!

Since it's the day of LOVE, I wanted to share a couple of songs that have encouraged me in my marriage (you may already be familiar with them). My friend, Heidi, recently shared the first song below with me (by Andrew Peterson) and the words just really made sense and rang true for me...marriage is about a PROMISE.

So when I lose my way, find me
When I lose loves chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith
to the end of all my days
when I forget my name, remind me

Cause we bear the light of the son of man
So there’s nothing left to fear
So I’ll walk with you in the shadow lands
Till the shadows disappear
Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos baby
I can dance with you

And we’re dancing in the minefields
We’re sailing in the storm
This is harder than we dreamed
But I believe that’s what the promise is for
That’s what the promise is for



I love these words...what love has tethered...I pray we never undo.

We are stitched together
And what love has tethered
I pray we never undo

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you

Happy Valentine's Day!

(Oh...and for the record...I kind of think this holiday is dumb, but I figured I might as well use it as an opportunity to tell my best friend how much I love him.)

7 comments:

Nana Kim said...

This is wonderful. Happy Valentines Day to my "daughter" and son. The Dancing in the Mine Fields song reminds me so much of Lee and our start in marriage, but by God's grace you can get there. Thanks for the Valentine post today and three beautiful little Valentines in addition.

the deKorne family said...

i love both of those songs! so funny! you are a great wife and mom. love you all!

Mom said...

Great valentine message for all of us, Ali....a reminder to "choose" to love! We wish you and Mike and your little loves a great valentine's day! Hugs and kisses from Grammy and Pops, too!

Erin said...

I love, love, love the two songs. Dave Barnes is AMAZING!!! I had never heard the Andrew Peterson song, but quickly after hearing it, I purchased it on itunes! I hope you all have a great Valentines Day!

Abby said...

I love this post! You two are an awesome couple. Love you both!

Christina said...

I'm blessed to have you as my sister-in-law - what a great message! It IS a choice every day to love a Moser, but life would be so boring without them! LOL...Happy Valentine's Day!

April Gann said...

First of all, I think the picture of Mike and you is adorable. Just great. I love your kids and all, but I want more of the two of you!!!
Second of all, great post. Great words, great truths, great songs that have been stuck in my head all day. Love you.