Monday, July 27, 2009

Scavenger Hunt and Smuckers

Apparently all of our weekend activities start with the letter "S", as is evidenced by my last three posts....sorry, I'm running out of creative titles! Anyway, we visited the headquarters for Smuckers this weekend. They have a store and cafe inside a big red barn in Orville, Ohio. They were having an ice cream social and had activities for kids. Benny won a jar of hot fudge topping during a bean bag toss, so I can't complain. :) He also wanted his picture taken with the Pillsbury Dough Boy...who wouldn't? (Pillsbury is apparently part of the Smuckers "family of brands"...I didn't know that.)

Oh..and yesterday afternoon some friends of ours who moved away a few years ago were in town and stopped by for a quick visit. Aubrey (bottom left picture) was born two weeks before Ben and the two of them had fun playing together for a bit yesterday. We wish they still lived in town so our kiddos could hang out more...us too!
I was trying to think of something fun to do with Benny late afternoon yesterday, so I came up with the idea of a scavenger hunt outside. He's been begging me to let him take pictures with my camera lately, so I thought I'd try to combine the two. My camera is big and heavy, but he was able to take each of the pictures below (with the exception of the one of his own hand holding the tiny rolly polly). I did do some cropping to fit them all in the collage, but he found each item and took it's picture. It was pretty fun, actually. It was a little too easy, but I think he mostly just wanted to use the camera. :) He was proud.

8 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, the scavenger hunt is such a cute idea! Ben did a good job taking pictures by himself. You are a fun mama!

You will be thrilled to know that Larsen helped create the Smuckers exhibit inside the big red barn! Also interesting (not really) is that Pillsbury is owned by General Mills, but Pillsbury Baking is owned by Smuckers. The brand was split in two when the previous owner, Multifoods, was purchased by Smuckers. Anyway, they have to share the doughboy. And that is your retail brands lesson for today. :) I'm a dork, love you!

beth said...

i want you as a mom your imagination is so much fun, ben is a lucky little guy. thanks abby for the lesson. love the pic of nat looking up at you. kisses to all.

the deKorne family said...

totally cute scavenger hunt! seriously, who does that? :) and, I have a HUGE love affair with smuckers red raspberry preserves. always have 2 jars on hand. mmmmmm. next time i come i want to go, too!

Ben and Erin said...

I love the scavenger hunt idea. I'm sure Ben had a blast doing that. The pictures are cute too. :) Your collages are always so fun to look at. I love the picture of the three of you. Such a cute family you all are. Also, I agree with you about Landon and Clare. He definitely resembles her as an infant. I mean there are things that are different for sure, but the hair and chubby cheeks, eyes and mouth are pretty similar. I wonder what he'll look like when he gets bigger. We'll know soon enough--time goes by so quickly!

Anonymous said...

love the idea of a scavenger hunt! how creative. what a fun mom you are! :)

Katie said...

What a great idea. And, what a wonderful mom! And I love the new blog look, by the way.

Katie said...

I love the scavenger hunt! What a great idea. I am impressed with his pictures, too. Must take after his Mommy! :) Mmmm, Smuckers. I love their strawberry jelly. You guys do such fun and creative things.

Heather Green said...

Whoa! LOVE the scavenger hunt idea! Just glancing at your blog, I told my Mike that 1) I think you're awesome and 2) I think we would be friends... if I'm not too dorky. :) Thanks for your note on my blog! I'll be perusing the Moser Fam blog from now on. :)